Solicitation of International Plans for the Conceptual Architectural Design of Yangtze Concert Hall and Yangtze Music Institute
Solicitation of International Plans for the Conceptual Architectural Design of Yangtze Concert Hall and Yangtze Music Institute
Guided by Xi Jinping’s thoughts on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics of New Era, we have fully been implementing requirements of the 19th National Congress and the Second/Third/Fourth/Fifth Plenary Session of the Nineteenth Central Committee. We have been also implementing the instructions of “dual geographic importance, twins goals and parallel progress” and “three roles” proposed by General Secretary Xi Jinping for a sound Political Ecosystem. We have been also implementing the instructions of his speech on urban work such as putting people first in our development philosophy all the time, persistently showing efforts in protection instead of development, casting the city soul by culture and empowering the city by industries. We are perfecting the core function of the city of humanity and creating a spiritual home and a holy place of value for cultural artists. We must better play the Yangtze River Symphony of "Two Rivers and Four Riversides", highlighting “a Natural Land of Beauty and a City of Cultural Appeal”.
The planning and construction of the Bay of Yangtze River Culture is of great importance for implementing action plan of upgrading of urban landscape and "Two Rivers and Four Riversides" management. It is a measure to preserve the historical and cultural memory of the city for the city dwellers.
((Figure 1 The Key Area of Chongqing’s Urban Development -"Two Rivers and Four Riversides")
The Bay of Yangtze River Culture and Art is composed of the Diaoyuzui Peninsula, the Chong Gang Area and Jiu Long Peninsula. It is the overture, sonata or climax of Chongqing Symphony of the Song of Yangtze River. That is "Two Rivers and Four Riversides", the main part of urban development. Our overall goal is to build a core area of a "City of Humanities.", embodying characteristics of Chongqing people including “tenacity, openness, tolerance, boldness and honesty”. We will building a cultural and artistic center of the upper reaches of the Yangtze River that can activates cultural values, a highland of emerging cultural industries in the west that can promote industrial transformation, and a fashionable and artistic belt with access to humanistic elements and a riverside green ecological corridor of Chongqing proper with natural beauty.
(Figure 2 Yangtze River Culture and Art Bay )
The Yangtze River Culture and Art Bay will strengthen industries as support and focus on "art +", "music +" and "art +". It will emphasize market-oriented operations to accelerate professional business attraction in a professional way to transform the advantages of cultural and artistic resource into the ones in industry, development and economy. The construction should highlight humanistic characteristics. To be specific, we should protect and better utilize historical and cultural heritage, integrating cultural elements into the landscape and reflecting cultural symbols in the design. We should create a mind home for artists so as to make art-loving and art-engaging people take roots here.
Diaoyuzui Peninsula is positioned as the "music peninsula" of the Bay of Yangtze River Culture and Art. It will focus "music + cultural creation, cultural tourism, and technology", and is building itself into a gathering place for cultural and artistic associations of the city, together with the Jiulong Peninsula. The Diaoyuzui Peninsula will plan 6 major cultural and artistic facilities including Concert Hall, Music Plaza, Music Stage, Music Camp of Yangtze River, Music Museum of Yangtze River, and Music Institute of Yangtze River.
（图3 音乐半岛六大设施 ）
(Figure 3 Six major facilities )钓鱼嘴半岛位于重庆大渡口区南部，面积约6.1平方公里，是长江进入重庆中心城区的第一个半岛，是重庆中心城区南部的江上门户。钓鱼嘴半岛地形地貌为低山丘陵，地势西高东低，从长江航道望去，其地貌特征类似重庆母城渝中半岛。岛内现状生态环境条件优越，尚处于开发初期，临江面浅滩湿地，植被葱郁，零星的现状建设掩映在山林之中，道路和轨道交通等基础建设现正开始建设。半岛及周边区域孕育了跳蹬石工号子、泛川派古琴艺术等音乐非物质文化遗产，钢琴王子李云迪从这里走向世界。
The Diaoyuzui Peninsula is located in the southern part of Chongqing Dadukou District, covering an area of approximately 6.1 square kilometers. It is the first peninsula where the Yangtze River enters Chongqing Proper and is the gateway of the south of Chongqing Proper. The Diaoyuzui Peninsula has low-mountain hills, high in the west and low in the east. Viewed from the Yangtze River Channel, its geomorphic features are similar to Yuzhong Peninsula, the mother city of Chongqing. The Diaoyuzui Peninsula is still in the early stage of development with excellent ecological environment at present. The riverside has shallow wetland and lush vegetation. The sporadic construction is hidden in the mountains and forests while infrastructure such as roads and rail transit is now under construction. The peninsula and surrounding areas have produced musical intangible cultural heritage such as chants of stone craftsman of Tiao Deng and guqin art. and a piano prince called Li Yundi went to the world from here.
（图4 钓鱼嘴半岛航拍 ）
(Figure 4 Diaoyuzui Peninsula)
In order to implement the arrangements of the Municipal Party Committee and the Municipal Government, we should highlight humanistic characteristics, strengthen industrial support, and improve urban functions. Besides, we should build the Yangtze River Cultural and Art Bay with a high-start planning and high-standard construction to demonstrate “a Natural Land of Beauty and a City of Cultural Appeal”. Diao Yuzui musical peninsula will be fully equipped the music industry, focus on introducing and cultivating industries including music, film and television, online entertainment, and digital publishing. We should accelerate the construction of functional projects, build a national music industry base, for a wonderful performance from the scratch.
The Yangtze Concert Hall and Yangtze Music Institute in this solicitation are the major facilities for the overall construction of the Music Peninsula.
Ⅲ. Design Scope and Scale
The Yangtze Concert Hall is located at the head of the Diaoyuzui Peninsula. It covers an area of about 9.54 hectares，the total construction area does not exceed 100,000 square meters which contains no more than 80,000 square meters of above-ground capacity building area. The Music Institute of Yangtze River is located on the west of the head of the Diaoyuzui Peninsula, covering an area of approximately 12.23 hectares, the total above-ground one does not exceed 150,000 square meters.
（图5 长江音乐厅、长江音乐学院区位图 ）
(Figure 5 Yangtze Concert Hall and Music Institute of Yangtze River )
Ⅳ. Design content
The purpose of this solicitation is to invite high-level teams with relevant architectural design experience in accordance with the overall planning and development of the Yangtze River Culture and Art Bay, featuring "international standard, green philosophy, intelligentized applications, and humanistic elements". They can provide high-level architectural plans to shape artistic spirit palace of Chongqing and produce talents in music.
1. Yangtze Concert Hall
Yangtze Concert Hall aims to build itself into a comprehensive cultural and artistic center. It should be professional with many functions at international level. It is a cultural service facility of Diaoyuzui Peninsula and the rest of the city. It will show the city image, reflect the city's cultural taste, and demonstrate the city's comprehensive competitiveness to promote the development of the cultural and artistic industry.
Yangtze Concert Hall plans to build 4 performance venues, including a concert hall with no more than 1,800 seats, a large theater with no more than 1,400 seats, a small concert hall with 300 seats and a multifunctional small theater with 300 seats. Other functions can be decided based on the relevant design scale, standard and the design plan. The Yangtze Concert Hall will undertake international large-scale music performance activities and open to the whole country. At the same time, it will provide teaching facilities for Music Institute of the Yangtze River. The internal space design and acoustic design of the Yangtze Concert Hall must meet the configuration requirements for international large-scale professional vocal performances. The plan should fully embody intelligentized applications and introduce technologies such as Internet intelligentized management and information management for an intelligent concert hall at the international level.
The land of the concert hall also contains a music plaza with an area about 50,000 square meters. The boundary of the music plaza can be determined in line with the architectural design plan of the concert hall. We should think globally towards music square and the music platform on the its south side and do a good job in the connection between them.
2. Yangtze Music Institute
With the goal of "establishing a domestic first-class music college and striving to create a unique music institute at international level", we should build the institute into a modern music and art palace integrating teaching, practice and scientific research. The institute will be constructed in accordance with the high standards of high-end talent training at international level. We will strive to include it into "14th Five-Year" higher education development plan of our city and even of our country.
The institute will build itself into an open, block-centered and humanistic art campus with natural appeals based on industry-city integration. The land of the Diaoyuzui Peninsula will adopt the traditional spatial layout featuring “small blocks and dense road network”. The overall layout, architectural form and spatial scale of the institute should fully consider the coordination with the street space of the surrounding land, reflecting the spatial characteristics of the mountain city. The overall architectural style should be integrated with the natural environment of mountains and rivers, coordinated with the architectural style of Yangtze Concert Hall, and we should avoid exotic architectural styles.
The institute has a capacity building area of approximately 150,000 square meters and will set up 16 departments including the Department of Vocal Music and Opera, Department of Piano, Department of Pop Music, Department of Composition and Conducting, Department of Music and Drama, Department of Dance Education, and Department of Dance Performance. There are about 300 professional teachers and about 50 administrative personnel; we expect to enroll 3000 undergraduates and 400 postgraduates (including masters and doctoral students). It no longer plans to set up a large-scale theater for performances.
3. Description of building scale
The specific building scale of Yangtze Concert Hall and Yangtze Music Institute can be optimized in line with the plan design (not exceeding the total building capacity area determined by all the projects) after they meet the scale requirements of each functional building .
Ⅴ. Form of solicitation
The solicitation will adopt "Intentional Invitation" and "Open Registration".
(1) Intentional invitation: Invite 3 high-level design units (consortium) with relevant design experience in concert halls and theaters, and they are sorted by the English initials, respectively:
1. GMP international GmbH & Tongji Architectural Design (Group) Co., Ltd (consortium)
2. MAD Architects & East China Architectural Design&Research Institute (consortium)
3. Snøhetta Studio Hong Kong Limited & Guangzhou Design Institute (consortium)
(2) Open registration: 4 high-level design units (consortium) are selected to participate in the solicitation through the qualification review. The issuing time of the announcement is deemed as the start of the registration.
Ⅵ. Qualifications of applicants
(1) Domestic applicants (including consortia) must have Grade A or above qualifications in construction industry (construction engineering) design.
(2) Overseas applicants should work with one of the domestic design institutions which meet one of the above qualifications to participate in this project. The overseas institutions must have a legal business scope in the country or region where it is located and it should have the corresponding design license.
(3) It must be led by a high-level architectural design unit and encouraged to form a consortium with experienced professional acoustic design units and commercial operation management units to register, the consortium has no more than 3 members. Consortium partners need to sign a legally valid "Consortium Agreement", and it is a must to specify the lead unit, the list of team members of both parties in this phase, the division of labor, and the proportion of work. Members of the consortium may not form others with other design units to register individually or in other names.
(4) Requirements for the design team
1. This event requires that the chief creative designer who was specified at the time of registration must attend the launching meeting, on-site surveys, Q&A, and review meeting; since the launching meeting, the chief creative designer and its team must stay at site for at least 2 days; the chief designer should attend the follow-up review meeting as required by the proprietor. The organizer will carry out mid-term communication on an optional basis. Once the registration is successful, it will be deemed to accept the description of this clause. During the Covid-19, if the overseas chief designer cannot enter China，he or she can participate in launching meeting，on-site surveys and review meeting by video with the permission of organizer.
2. The designers participating in this solicitation should be registered personnel of the design unit. The chief designer must be an architect who has presided over multiple projects of the same type, and they must participate in the whole solicitation in person, and provide technical consultation if necessary.
3. The design team should include professionals in architecture, structure and landscape, but not limited to the above specialties.
4. During the design process, if the chief designer does not match the information submitted in the prequalification materials or if the chief designer was changed without the approval of the organizer, the qualification will be deemed invalid, and the organizer will record the relevant units and individuals in the integrity management system.
Ⅶ. Description of the Solicitation
(1) This solicitation is divided into three stages. The first stage is the selection stage of the intention invitation and applicants, which lasts about 15 days; the second stage is for the construction plan preparation, which lasts about 80 days (including the mid-term review of the construction plan); the third stage is the construction plan review.
(2) Applicants who apply for registration will be pre-qualified by the evaluation committee on the application materials, and 4 applicants (including consortia) will be selected as finalists.
(3) The 3 inviting units and the 4 finalists will simultaneously carry out the architectural plan design, and their results shall meet the requirements of the solicitation. After being reviewed by the expert review committee, the results will be sorted and 3 winning units will be selected. After a comprehensive review by the organizer, a design unit (including consortium) will be determined to deepen the plan.
The design unit (including the consortium) will receive the corresponding compensation fee if its result is evaluated as effective by the expert review committee. In particular, each winning unit (including the consortium) reviewed by the expert review committee will receive a design compensation fee of RMB 2.1 million; each of other units (including the consortium) will receive a design compensation fee of RMB 1.6 million.
In principle, the total quotation of the contract of the architectural design scheme shall not exceed RMB 6.6 million. The project legal person could continue to entrust the deepening design unit to undertake the follow-up design if it meets the requirements of the "Chongqing Municipal Project Preliminary Work Operation Regulations of Government Investment ", and the follow-up design cost will be negotiated.
The detailed rules concerning design compensation fees and building design plan deepening fees shall be subject to the final proposal solicitation task document.
(4) All expenses in the process of soliciting construction schemes and related duties due to design compensation fees and construction design scheme deepening expenses shall be paid by the applicants themselves.
(5) Applicants (including consortium) must ensure that all application materials are true, legal and valid, and should relevant legal responsibilities.
(6) This consultation is a bilingual explanation in Chinese and English, and the final interpretation language is in Chinese.
Ⅷ Results requirements
(1) The results of the pre-qualification for registration: basic information and related performance introduction of the company (displayed on one set of exhibition boards come with A0 size), the registration form, qualification certification documents, the relevant performance of the applicant and the chief designer, member list of the main creative design team and related certification materials; if it is a consortium, consortium agreement must be submitted and plan for division of work among consortium members. (See Annex for details)
(2) Architectural proposal solicitation results: The design results of the solicitation stage mainly include design texts, exhibition boards, animations, multimedia report documents and physical models, etc. The design text is composed of design instructions and drawings. The design description mainly includes architectural plan conception, structural design description, architectural acoustic design description, technical and economic indicators, etc.; drawings mainly include general plan, floor plan of the building, elevation, section, effect drawing, design analysis drawing, etc.; the time for animation presentation is not less than 3 minutes. (See Annex for details, which is subject to the final proposal solicitation task document).
(3) The results of the design deepening plan: we should deepen the conceptual architectural design plan of Yangtze Concert Hall. According to the local regulations of the People's Republic of China and Chongqing Municipality, the design results meet requirements of the architectural design plan for approval. We should supervise and monitor the subsequent preliminary design and the construction drawing design to ensure that the concept of the plan can be completely implemented in the building with success.
The deepening work of Yangtze Music Institute needs to integrate the opinions of the relevant review meeting, and the design results should meet the guidance of the subsequent architectural plan design, preliminary design, and construction drawing design to ensure the complete implementation of the plan concept in the building with success.
Ⅸ. Registration time and submission of prequalification registration documents
(1) Registration time: from December 7 of 2020 to December 21 of 2020 (Beijing time, China).
(2) Document submission: The deadline for submission of prequalification registration documents is 17:00 on December 21 of 2020. please submit them at Chongqing Planning & Design Institute (Room 802, Building 3, Planning Surveying and Mapping Innovation Base, Yubei District, Chongqing). The deadline for documents submitted by mail is at 17:00 on December 21, 2020 (subject to the arrival time of the mail). Online mail registration is not accepted for this solicitation, and the prequalification registration documents submitted late or not delivered to the designated place will not be accepted by the solicitor.
Ⅹ. Sponsor and Undertaker
Sponsor： Chongqing Planning & Natural Resources Bureau
Chongqing Land Group
Undertaker: Architectural Society of China
Chongqing Planning & Design Institute
The organizer has the right to determine the schedule and also has the final right to interpret this solicitation activity.
The undertaker is responsible for the specific work of the organization for the preparation of the solicitation, and the relevant letter issued by the organizer has the same effect as confirmed by the organizer.
Ⅺ. Contact for registration
联 系 人：贾女士、康女士
电 话：+86 18696787830、+86 13500398883
Undertaker: Chongqing Planning & Design Institute
Contact person: Ms. Jia, Ms. Kang
TEL: +86 18696787830, +86 13500398883
Mailing address: Room 802, Building 3, Planning Surveying & Mapping Innovation Base, Yubei District, Chongqing
Postal Code: 401147
If the applicant (including the consortium) successfully signs up, they will participate in on-site surveys and reports according to the requirements of the solicitation. The guests to Chongqing should meet the relevant requirements of pandemic prevention and control of Chongqing and prepare in advance.